In the area
The Arthur River Cabin Park is situated in a part of Tasmania that is surrounded by spectacular natural wilderness areas, and within easy reach of numerous popular tourists attractions.
In the wild and remote far north of Tasmania's west coast is the Arthur River, flowing through tall eucalypt forests and rainforests to the sea. On the border of the Arthur-Pieman Protected Area, the tiny Arthur River settlement is the starting point for 4WD beach and forest explorations and cruises on the lower reaches of the river, viewing wildlife and complete with a spectacular array of birdlife, such as black cockatoos, Tasmanian rosellas, orange-breasted parrots, black jays, wedge-tail eagles, pied heron and azure kingfishers.
There are facilities for camping, picnics and barbecues. Beyond Arthur River is the Western Explorer route, an adventurous journey on gravel roads to reach Corinna on the Pieman River, just over 100 km south. Reach Arthur River by taking the A2 for 50 km beyond Smithton to Marrawah (great surfing and beach walks) then continue on gravel roads 14 km further south.
Some local area attractions include:
- Arthur River (fishing & boating)
- Arthur-Pieman Protected Area (Wilderness - bushwalking, sightseeing)
- Arthur River Cruises
- 4WD tours
- Dismal Swamp Maze
- Native animals & birdlife
- The famous Tarkine Wilderness
- Local Canoe & Boat hire
- Woolnorth Wind Farm
- The Edge of the World beaches (surfing & swimming)
- & much more
A few area contact details:
- Arthur River Shop: P: 03 64571207
- A.R. Parks & Wildlife: P: 03 64571225
- M.V. George Robinson: (The Red Boat) Approx: $92 ad., Pens $85. 14-6 yrs. $35 Ch. 5-0 yrs. Free. P: 0427 885 792
- Punt at Corinna: Vehicles 9m from front axle of vehicle to back axle of trailer. Cost is: Car $20.00. With tow trailer, van or Winnebago $25.00. Operating times: 1st Oct - 30th March 9am - 7pm. 1st April- 30 Sep. 9am - 5 pm.